Installing Turnpike on Windows 10 with XP in Virtualbox.
Jim Crowther
2022-08-19 01:36:07 UTC
I've finally made the move to Windows 10, after my trusty Win 7 Pro
machine decided its hinges would break, and I was donated another more
modern laptop.

Now the task was to set up Turnpike on a virtual XP machine in Windows
10. I tried both Hyper-V and VMware - both were a RRPITA to set up, and
neither of them would allow the mouse to travel seamlessly from the host
(W10) to the guest (XP). Even using the clipboard was fraught with
gotchas. :(

So last but not least I tried Virtualbox. You have to use Version 5.2,
as the newer version 6 doesn't play with 32-bit OSs.

It turned out to be a breeze to set up, but things have to be done in
the right order. ;)

In W10, set up a Downloads folder that includes folders for:

Turnpike backup (the complete folder is best)
Turnpike install file - entire.exe from:
https://www.plainfaqs.org.uk/downloads/ [1]
Stunnel backup (the complete folder is best)
Stunnel install:
https://github.com/josealf/stunnel-win32/blob/master/stunnel-
win32-5.65-openssl-1.1.1q-installer.exe
Virtualbox 5.2 from:
https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.2.44/VirtualBox-5.2.44-139111-Win.exe
Windows XP Pro iso with product key from:
https://archive.org/details/WinXPProSP3x86

Then its just (!!!) a matter of installing Virtualbox, then installing
XP from its iso:
https://www.how2shout.com/how-to/how-to-install-windows-xp-iso-on-windows-10-virtualbox.html

Eventually XP will be ready - you might have to play about with graphics
settings to get a reasonable screen size in a modern laptop.

In the line above the XP window, click on 'Devices', 'drag and drop' and
click on 'Bidirectional'. It's also useful to "Insert guest additions
CD image". ;) Then you can access all the drives on the host PC etc.

Copy your TP folder into C:\Program Files\ , and start to run entire.exe
over the top. Read the readme! that pops up first and execute the CACLS
commands in a CMD prompt to get the right permissions from the get-go.
Then carry on the TP installation.

Copy the stunnel folder into Program Files, then run the installer.
Make stunnel a service at start-up by using a CMD prompt:
Navigate to: C:\program files\stunnel\bin>
And enter stunnel -install
( C:\program files\stunnel\bin>stunnel -install )

If you want a Connect.exe shortcut on the desktop, remember it lives in:
C:\program files\turnpike\bin - right-click on it and "send to" desktop
as shortcut.

That's about it. All works swimmingly at last - it took me about three
days to get to this stage.

HTH. :)
Jim Crowther
Jim Crowther
2022-08-19 01:50:23 UTC
In demon.ip.support.turnpike, on Thu, 18 Aug 2022 18:36:07, Jim Crowther
wrote:

[]
Post by Jim Crowther
https://www.plainfaqs.org.uk/downloads/ [1]
[]

I forgot the [1] :oops:

If you want the full TP manual etc, download full.exe and execute that
just before executing entire.exe.
Jim Crowther
news
2022-08-19 07:13:47 UTC
Post by Jim Crowther
I've finally made the move to Windows 10, after my trusty Win 7 Pro
machine decided its hinges would break, and I was donated another more
modern laptop.
Now the task was to set up Turnpike on a virtual XP machine in Windows
10. I tried both Hyper-V and VMware - both were a RRPITA to set up, and
neither of them would allow the mouse to travel seamlessly from the host
(W10) to the guest (XP). Even using the clipboard was fraught with
gotchas. :(
So last but not least I tried Virtualbox. You have to use Version 5.2,
as the newer version 6 doesn't play with 32-bit OSs.
It turned out to be a breeze to set up, but things have to be done in
the right order. ;)
I have been using TP in XP then Win7Pro 32-bit via VMware for a few
years - first under Win10 64bit and for the last few months under
Win11 on a new[er] computer. Setting up TP was a doddle, treating XP and
then Win7 OS as a standard install. I remember problems with the mouse
and clipboard initially but that was solved by installing VMware Tools
as part of the setup.

What I have never got to work is Stunnel as it can't find the right
ports. I thought it would be a problem when my host TSO switched from
Unix to cPanel recently but that has not been the case. I think it is
because TSO has retained my "transition" account which accepts and
forwards mail to my davidlawson mailbox. My tekkie son says this is
because it is a non-SSL account [whatever that means].
David Lawson
John Hall
2022-08-19 09:12:31 UTC
Post by news
Post by Jim Crowther
[...]
Ah, I'd need Stunnel. Do you know if it works under Virtualbox, Jim?
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,
Ogden Nash (1902-1971)
Jim Crowther
2022-08-19 14:06:47 UTC
In demon.ip.support.turnpike, on Fri, 19 Aug 2022 10:12:31, John Hall
Post by John Hall
Post by news
Post by Jim Crowther
[...]
Yes, stunnel (32 bit version) works inside the Virtualbox XP VM. You
don't run it on the host W10 machine.
Jim Crowther
John Hall
Ogden Nash (1902-1971)
John Hall
2022-08-19 09:10:14 UTC
Post by Jim Crowther
I've finally made the move to Windows 10, after my trusty Win 7 Pro
machine decided its hinges would break, and I was donated another more
modern laptop.
Now the task was to set up Turnpike on a virtual XP machine in Windows
10. I tried both Hyper-V and VMware - both were a RRPITA to set up,
and neither of them would allow the mouse to travel seamlessly from the
host (W10) to the guest (XP). Even using the clipboard was fraught
with gotchas. :(
So last but not least I tried Virtualbox. You have to use Version 5.2,
as the newer version 6 doesn't play with 32-bit OSs.
<snip>

When you say that version six won't play with 32-bit OSs, do you mean
that it runs only on a 64-bit machine AND it won't let you set up a
32-bit VM on that machine? And that version 5.2 also runs on a 64-bit
machine but WILL let you set up a 32-bit VM?
Ogden Nash (1902-1971)
Martin Liddle
2022-08-19 12:10:06 UTC
Post by John Hall
When you say that version six won't play with 32-bit OSs, do you mean
that it runs only on a 64-bit machine AND it won't let you set up a
32-bit VM on that machine?  And that version 5.2 also runs on a 64-bit
machine but WILL let you set up a 32-bit VM?
I am running VirtualBox 6.1.36 on a 64bit computer and supporting both
32 bit and 64 bit VMs.
--
Martin Liddle, Tynemouth Computer Services
Staveley, Chesterfield, Derbyshire UK
Jim Crowther
2022-08-19 14:00:18 UTC
In demon.ip.support.turnpike, on Fri, 19 Aug 2022 13:10:06, Martin
Post by Martin Liddle
Post by John Hall
When you say that version six won't play with 32-bit OSs, do you
mean that it runs only on a 64-bit machine AND it won't let you set
up a 32-bit VM on that machine?  And that version 5.2 also runs on a
64-bit machine but WILL let you set up a 32-bit VM?
I am running VirtualBox 6.1.36 on a 64bit computer and supporting both
32 bit and 64 bit VMs.
But not XP, I bet.
Jim Crowther
John Hall
2022-08-19 16:07:32 UTC
Post by Martin Liddle
Post by John Hall
When you say that version six won't play with 32-bit OSs, do you
mean that it runs only on a 64-bit machine AND it won't let you set
up a 32-bit VM on that machine?  And that version 5.2 also runs on a
64-bit machine but WILL let you set up a 32-bit VM?
I am running VirtualBox 6.1.36 on a 64bit computer and supporting both
32 bit and 64 bit VMs.
But not XP, I bet.
Ah, that wouldn't be a problem for me. I'd be happy running 32-bit W10
under 64-bit Win10 or even 64-bit W11.

I suppose one long-term problem could be that there is never going to be
a 32-bit W11, so I'd need to stick with 32-bit W10 for the VM even after
Windows stop issuing security upgrades for it. But I suppose that if my
browser is running outside the VM, then the exposure within the VM to
any nasties ought to be reduced.
Ogden Nash (1902-1971)
John Hall
Ogden Nash (1902-1971)
Jim Crowther
2022-08-19 14:04:56 UTC
In demon.ip.support.turnpike, on Fri, 19 Aug 2022 10:10:14, John Hall
Post by John Hall
Post by Jim Crowther
I've finally made the move to Windows 10, after my trusty Win 7 Pro
machine decided its hinges would break, and I was donated another more
modern laptop.
Now the task was to set up Turnpike on a virtual XP machine in Windows
10. I tried both Hyper-V and VMware - both were a RRPITA to set up,
and neither of them would allow the mouse to travel seamlessly from
the host (W10) to the guest (XP). Even using the clipboard was
fraught with gotchas. :(
So last but not least I tried Virtualbox. You have to use Version
5.2, as the newer version 6 doesn't play with 32-bit OSs.
<snip>
When you say that version six won't play with 32-bit OSs, do you mean
that it runs only on a 64-bit machine AND it
won't let you set up a 32-bit VM on that machine?
Version 6 in Win 10 won't play with XP - I took that to mean it won't
work with 32-bit - that may not in fact be the case (It might work with
Win 7 Pro).
Post by John Hall
And that version 5.2 also runs on a 64-bit machine but WILL let you set
up a 32-bit VM?
5.2 runs on Win 10 64-bit and happily supports XP (a 32-bit OS).
Jim Crowther
Martin Liddle
2022-08-19 16:42:36 UTC
Post by Jim Crowther
In demon.ip.support.turnpike, on Fri, 19 Aug 2022 10:10:14, John Hall
Version 6 in Win 10 won't play with XP - I took that to mean it won't
work with 32-bit - that may not in fact be the case (It might work with
Win 7 Pro).
XP 32 bit under VirtualBox 6 works fine for me.
Jim Crowther
2022-08-19 21:50:43 UTC
In demon.ip.support.turnpike, on Fri, 19 Aug 2022 17:42:36, Martin
Post by Martin Liddle
Post by Jim Crowther
In demon.ip.support.turnpike, on Fri, 19 Aug 2022 10:10:14, John Hall
Version 6 in Win 10 won't play with XP - I took that to mean it
won't work with 32-bit - that may not in fact be the case (It might
work with Win 7 Pro).
XP 32 bit under VirtualBox 6 works fine for me.
Yes, I mis-read their website when it stated:
--------
Please also use version 5.2 if you still need support for 32-bit hosts,
as this has been discontinued in 6.0. Version 5.2 will remain supported
until July 2020.
--------
They refer to 32-bit HOSTS not VMs.

So as you were folks, V6.* of Virtualbox is fine. :)
Jim Crowther
John Hall
Ogden Nash (1902-1971)
SilverE
2022-08-19 11:24:31 UTC
At 18:36:07 on Thu, 18 Aug 2022, Jim Crowther wrote in
Post by Jim Crowther
I've finally made the move to Windows 10, after my trusty Win 7 Pro
machine decided its hinges would break, and I was donated another more
modern laptop.
Now the task was to set up Turnpike on a virtual XP machine in Windows
10. I tried both Hyper-V and VMware - both were a RRPITA to set up, and
neither of them would allow the mouse to travel seamlessly from the host
(W10) to the guest (XP). Even using the clipboard was fraught with
gotchas. :(
How odd. VirtualBox did not work properly for me at all on my WIn10
machine, although it had been OK on earlier PCs. VMWare is fine. The
version I first installed nearly two years ago required the Hyper-V
support in Win10 to be disabled, but I believe that is not necessary in
current versions. With VMWare Tools installed the mouse works seamlessly
- did you install the Tools? A similar Extension Pack is also needed in
VirtualBox. The clipboard also works fine - except sometimes from Excel
but Excel is always touchy.

VMWare's Unity mode makes running TP completely transparent, it behaves
as if running on the host machine. Before now people have worried that
they need to install a full set of programs on the guest, such as Word
to read .docs received in TP. But you simply drag/drop the file from the
email onto the host desktop and open it in Word from there.
Post by Jim Crowther
So last but not least I tried Virtualbox. You have to use Version 5.2,
as the newer version 6 doesn't play with 32-bit OSs.
While I've not tried VBox V6, their docs say it supports 32-bit guests.
It does only run on 64-bit hosts, but if your host is 32-bit you don't
need a VM. And as you have Hyper-V it must be Win10 Pro x64 that you are
running. VBox5.2 went out of support 2 years ago - but then XP is long
gone.

VBox does not claim any support for Win11 yet (host or guest). VMWare
runs on my (test) Win11 host, and they say guests can get round the TPM
requirement.
Post by Jim Crowther
It turned out to be a breeze to set up, but things have to be done in
the right order. ;)
Turnpike backup (the complete folder is best)
https://www.plainfaqs.org.uk/downloads/ [1]
Stunnel backup (the complete folder is best)
https://github.com/josealf/stunnel-win32/blob/master/stunnel-
win32-5.65-openssl-1.1.1q-installer.exe
https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.2.44/VirtualBox-5.2.44-1391
11-Win.exe
https://archive.org/details/WinXPProSP3x86
Then its just (!!!) a matter of installing Virtualbox, then installing
https://www.how2shout.com/how-to/how-to-install-windows-xp-iso-on-window
s-10-virtualbox.html
Eventually XP will be ready - you might have to play about with graphics
settings to get a reasonable screen size in a modern laptop.
It's been reported that a Win10 VM can be activated by the same product
key as the host. But it may well run just fine without being activated,
the restrictions are trivial. That avoids running an unsupported OS
which has had no security updates for many years.
Post by Jim Crowther
In the line above the XP window, click on 'Devices', 'drag and drop' and
click on 'Bidirectional'. It's also useful to "Insert guest additions
CD image". ;) Then you can access all the drives on the host PC etc.
Copy your TP folder into C:\Program Files\ , and start to run entire.exe
over the top. Read the readme! that pops up first and execute the CACLS
commands in a CMD prompt to get the right permissions from the get-go.
Then carry on the TP installation.
Copy the stunnel folder into Program Files, then run the installer.
Navigate to: C:\program files\stunnel\bin>
And enter stunnel -install
( C:\program files\stunnel\bin>stunnel -install )
C:\program files\turnpike\bin - right-click on it and "send to" desktop
as shortcut.
With VMWare you can put a shortcut in the host machine (Start, taskbar,
desktop, wherever) so you never need to see the VM's own desktop.
SilverE
Andy
2022-08-19 18:42:14 UTC
Post by Jim Crowther
I've finally made the move to Windows 10, after my trusty Win 7 Pro
machine decided its hinges would break, and I was donated another more
modern laptop.
[][
Post by Jim Crowther
HTH. :)
Carefully filed justincase. Thanks.
--
Andy Taylor FRPSL
President, Treasurer & Editor of the Austrian Philatelic Society.