Time synchronisation
J. P. Gilliver
2023-07-24 02:47:10 UTC
Windows 7, 32 bit.

Do I need to do something - or can I not? - to give Turnpike write
access to the PC clock?

Having noticed my PC was somewhat slow, I disconnected and reconnected
from within Turnpike, with the log window open. It said it had corrected
the clock - it was 42 seconds slow.

But then I noticed it still was wrong; I disconnected and reconnected
again, and TP again said it had made a 42 second correction. Which it
hadn't.

I manually did one from 7's clock (they both access the same time
server); that, as you'd expect, _did_ correct the clock. (Another
disconnect/reconnect logged "SNTP: PC clock is correct!".)

Of course, I could just let 7 automatically do it itself, but I'd like
to let TP do it, for nostalgic reasons (-:

[What's your guilty pleasure?] Why should you feel guilty about pleasure? -
Michel Roux Jr in Radio Times 2-8 February 2013
John Hall
2023-07-24 07:15:09 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver
Windows 7, 32 bit.
Do I need to do something - or can I not? - to give Turnpike write
access to the PC clock?
<snip>

You might have more success on the Windows 7 newsgroup, if you ask about
giving applications write access to the clock. (It might be easier not
to mention TP.)
--
John Hall "[It was] so steep that at intervals the street broke into steps,
like a person breaking into giggles or hiccups, and then resumed
Ursula K Le Guin "The Beginning Place"
J. P. Gilliver
2023-07-24 12:24:30 UTC
Post by John Hall
Post by J. P. Gilliver
Windows 7, 32 bit.
Do I need to do something - or can I not? - to give Turnpike write
access to the PC clock?
<snip>
You might have more success on the Windows 7 newsgroup, if you ask
about giving applications write access to the clock. (It might be
easier not to mention TP.)
Good thought - I'll try. Though I _think_ it worked fine on my previous
7-32 machine - but it could be that W7's own auto-correct was turned on
on that one.

Paxman, the man who has never used one sneer when three would do
- Elizabeth Day, RT 2015/5/2-8
J. P. Gilliver
2023-07-24 12:42:42 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver
Post by John Hall
Post by J. P. Gilliver
Windows 7, 32 bit.
Do I need to do something - or can I not? - to give Turnpike write
access to the PC clock?
<snip>
You might have more success on the Windows 7 newsgroup, if you ask
about giving applications write access to the clock. (It might be
easier not to mention TP.)
Good thought - I'll try. Though I _think_ it worked fine on my previous
7-32 machine - but it could be that W7's own auto-correct was turned on
on that one.
I've now done so; we'll see what (if anything) ensues.

the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'evidence'. Professor Edzart Ernst, prudential
magazine, AUTUMN 2006, p. 13.