TP losing connection?
J. P. Gilliver
2024-01-12 15:10:47 UTC
I tend to leave this computer on for days on end, with TP connected.

From time to time, TP seems to lose connection: everything else -
browser, ping from a command window - remains connected. Closing the TP
connection, or even closing and restarting Connect, doesn't work; I have
to restart the PC. Any thoughts on what's causing it?

Windows 7, 32 bit.

The average age of a single mum in this country is 37
- Jane Rackham, RT 2016/5/28-6/3
Andy
2024-01-12 16:16:27 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver
I tend to leave this computer on for days on end, with TP connected.
From time to time, TP seems to lose connection: everything else -
browser, ping from a command window - remains connected. Closing the TP
connection, or even closing and restarting Connect, doesn't work; I
have to restart the PC. Any thoughts on what's causing it?
Windows 7, 32 bit.
Brief Drop-out on your internet connection? I have the same trouble with
the BBC.
--
Andy Taylor FRPSL
President, Treasurer & Editor of the Austrian Philatelic Society.
Tim Lamb
2024-01-12 17:10:21 UTC
Post by Andy
Post by J. P. Gilliver
I tend to leave this computer on for days on end, with TP connected.
From time to time, TP seems to lose connection: everything else -
browser, ping from a command window - remains connected. Closing the
TP connection, or even closing and restarting Connect, doesn't work; I
have to restart the PC. Any thoughts on what's causing it?
Windows 7, 32 bit.
Brief Drop-out on your internet connection? I have the same trouble
with the BBC.
Hmm. I have been struggling with my Internet service since the end of
November. Coincided with gales and tree branches in contact with
overhead phone cables. The other coincidence was me installing a W 7 pro
*roll up* upgrade from MS.
4 visits from Open Reach later I am still getting the occasional drop
out. Replace a 2 year old router next.

Service believed to be ADSL2 as I can get 16Mb down on a supply cable
length of around 1 mile!

Logging in to the router data gives lots of detail. The WAN section of
the Event Log gives connection speeds and SNR margins. Sadly not hugely
instructive to a retired Farmer:-(
Tim Lamb
J. P. Gilliver
2024-01-13 09:06:21 UTC
Post by Tim Lamb
Post by Andy
Post by J. P. Gilliver
I tend to leave this computer on for days on end, with TP connected.
From time to time, TP seems to lose connection: everything else -
browser, ping from a command window - remains connected. Closing the
TP connection, or even closing and restarting Connect, doesn't work;
I have to restart the PC. Any thoughts on what's causing it?
Windows 7, 32 bit.
Brief Drop-out on your internet connection? I have the same trouble
with the BBC.
I don't think so: once TP has started showing red rectangles, it remains
so - and everything else continues to work, such as browser and ping
from command prompt (as it happens ping BBC is one of the things I often
try).
Post by Tim Lamb
Hmm. I have been struggling with my Internet service since the end of
November. Coincided with gales and tree branches in contact with
overhead phone cables. The other coincidence was me installing a W 7
pro *roll up* upgrade from MS.
4 visits from Open Reach later I am still getting the occasional drop
out. Replace a 2 year old router next.
Service believed to be ADSL2 as I can get 16Mb down on a supply cable
length of around 1 mile!
Logging in to the router data gives lots of detail. The WAN section of
the Event Log gives connection speeds and SNR margins. Sadly not hugely
instructive to a retired Farmer:-(
Sounds like you _are_ having internet connection problems. Mine seem to
be TP only.

I hope you haven't been charged for the four Openreach visits - that
could get expensive!

I don't see the requirement to upset people. ... There's enough to make fun of
without offending. - Ronnie Corbett, in Radio Times 6-12 August 2011.
Tim Lamb
2024-01-13 09:25:08 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver
Post by Tim Lamb
Post by Andy
Post by J. P. Gilliver
I tend to leave this computer on for days on end, with TP connected.
From time to time, TP seems to lose connection: everything else -
Post by Tim Lamb
Hmm. I have been struggling with my Internet service since the end of
November. Coincided with gales and tree branches in contact with
overhead phone cables. The other coincidence was me installing a W 7
pro *roll up* upgrade from MS.
4 visits from Open Reach later I am still getting the occasional drop
out. Replace a 2 year old router next.
Service believed to be ADSL2 as I can get 16Mb down on a supply cable
length of around 1 mile!
Logging in to the router data gives lots of detail. The WAN section of
the Event Log gives connection speeds and SNR margins. Sadly not
hugely instructive to a retired Farmer:-(
Sounds like you _are_ having internet connection problems. Mine seem to
be TP only.
I hope you haven't been charged for the four Openreach visits - that
could get expensive!
Hmm. The last engineer told me that the slots are purchased in advance,
then allocated as needed.

New router arrived this morning so I'll see how that goes.

I have a re-furbished W11 m/c ready to install but trepidating over the
data transfer job!

Be goodbye to Turnpike after 27 years:-(
Tim Lamb
John Hall
2024-01-13 10:55:49 UTC
Post by Tim Lamb
Post by J. P. Gilliver
Post by Tim Lamb
Post by Andy
Post by J. P. Gilliver
I tend to leave this computer on for days on end, with TP connected.
From time to time, TP seems to lose connection: everything else -
Post by Tim Lamb
[...]
If all else fails, then switching to fibre - assuming it's already
available in your area - might be the solution to your connection
problem.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people