news disabled on opening?
J. P. Gilliver
2023-11-27 11:44:26 UTC
When I reopen connect (usually after closing to do my weekly backup),
the two news tasks are disabled (the buttons below the [what will be]
blue bars are labelled Enabled). (The two mail tasks are enabled [their
buttons are labelled Disable].)

It's only a trivial two clicks, but I don't think it was always the
case: any idea what changed it, and/or if it can be altered?

Freedom of the press is limited to those who have one.
John Hall
2023-11-27 16:51:37 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver
When I reopen connect (usually after closing to do my weekly backup),
the two news tasks are disabled (the buttons below the [what will be]
blue bars are labelled Enabled). (The two mail tasks are enabled [their
buttons are labelled Disable].)
It's only a trivial two clicks, but I don't think it was always the
case: any idea what changed it, and/or if it can be altered?
That's odd. When I switch my PC on in the morning (I'm of the generation
that can't bring itself to leave on electrical appliances that aren't in
use - though I do make an exception for my router), and launch connect,
once I click on the telephone icon my news tasks start up along with
email.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)
J. P. Gilliver
2023-11-27 18:40:00 UTC
Post by John Hall
Post by J. P. Gilliver
When I reopen connect (usually after closing to do my weekly backup),
the two news tasks are disabled (the buttons below the [what will be]
blue bars are labelled Enabled). (The two mail tasks are enabled
[their buttons are labelled Disable].)
It's only a trivial two clicks, but I don't think it was always the
case: any idea what changed it, and/or if it can be altered?
That's odd. When I switch my PC on in the morning (I'm of the
generation that can't bring itself to leave on electrical appliances
This time of year, any extra energy it uses just goes to heating your
house - but I know what you mean. I leave mine on as it takes a while to
boot.
Post by John Hall
that aren't in use - though I do make an exception for my router), and
That's reasonable, as routers and the exchange can take some days to
settle down between them. (And, your household may have visitors and/or
multiple users.)
Post by John Hall
launch connect, once I click on the telephone icon my news tasks start
up along with email.
I'm sure mine used to be the same!

My movies rise below vulgarity. - Mel Brooks, quoted by Barry Norman in RT
2016/11/26-12/2
Andy
2023-11-27 18:09:14 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver
When I reopen connect (usually after closing to do my weekly backup),
the two news tasks are disabled (the buttons below the [what will be]
blue bars are labelled Enabled). (The two mail tasks are enabled [their
buttons are labelled Disable].)
It's only a trivial two clicks, but I don't think it was always the
case: any idea what changed it, and/or if it can be altered?
Fat Finger Syndrome (from which I suffer increasingly)?
--
Andy Taylor FRPSL
President, Treasurer & Editor of the Austrian Philatelic Society.
J. P. Gilliver
2023-11-27 18:40:42 UTC
Post by Andy
Post by J. P. Gilliver
When I reopen connect (usually after closing to do my weekly backup),
the two news tasks are disabled (the buttons below the [what will be]
blue bars are labelled Enabled). (The two mail tasks are enabled
[their buttons are labelled Disable].)
It's only a trivial two clicks, but I don't think it was always the
case: any idea what changed it, and/or if it can be altered?
Fat Finger Syndrome (from which I suffer increasingly)?
Very likely; I just don't know what my fat fingers have hit!

My movies rise below vulgarity. - Mel Brooks, quoted by Barry Norman in RT
2016/11/26-12/2
John Hall
2023-11-27 18:47:13 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver
When I reopen connect (usually after closing to do my weekly backup),
the two news tasks are disabled (the buttons below the [what will be]
blue bars are labelled Enabled). (The two mail tasks are enabled [their
buttons are labelled Disable].)
It's only a trivial two clicks, but I don't think it was always the
case: any idea what changed it, and/or if it can be altered?
Presumably you've checked that the relevant boxes are ticked under
Connect > Configure > News transfer?
J. P. Gilliver
2023-11-27 19:47:58 UTC
Post by John Hall
Post by J. P. Gilliver
When I reopen connect (usually after closing to do my weekly backup),
the two news tasks are disabled (the buttons below the [what will be]
blue bars are labelled Enabled). (The two mail tasks are enabled
[their buttons are labelled Disable].)
It's only a trivial two clicks, but I don't think it was always the
case: any idea what changed it, and/or if it can be altered?
Presumably you've checked that the relevant boxes are ticked under
Connect > Configure > News transfer?
Thanks - that seems to have been it! I didn't have any connected; I've
now ticked the two '"Browse" enabled' buttons, and closing and reopening
Connect now comes up with all four tasks enabled. (The "help" talks
about a 480 seconds - 8 minutes - timeout; I'll see if that happens.)

I still have to click the telephone, which I think I didn't have to once
upon a time (i. e. Connect connected on opening) - any thoughts?

Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so. (First series, fit the first.)
J. P. Gilliver
2023-11-28 02:06:13 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver
Post by John Hall
Post by J. P. Gilliver
When I reopen connect (usually after closing to do my weekly backup),
the two news tasks are disabled (the buttons below the [what will be]
blue bars are labelled Enabled). (The two mail tasks are enabled
[their buttons are labelled Disable].)
It's only a trivial two clicks, but I don't think it was always the
case: any idea what changed it, and/or if it can be altered?
Presumably you've checked that the relevant boxes are ticked under
Connect > Configure > News transfer?
Thanks - that seems to have been it! I didn't have any connected; I've
now ticked the two '"Browse" enabled' buttons, and closing and
reopening Connect now comes up with all four tasks enabled. (The "help"
talks about a 480 seconds - 8 minutes - timeout; I'll see if that
happens.)
It didn't - I've still got four blue bars, some hours later.
Post by J. P. Gilliver
I still have to click the telephone, which I think I didn't have to
once upon a time (i. e. Connect connected on opening) - any thoughts?

"You realise, Fraser, that what happened between us can never repeat itself.
Unless, of course, the exact same circumstances were to repeat themselves." "By
exact same circumstances, sir, you mean: we would have to be aboard a train
loaded with unconscious Mounties, that had been taken over by terrorists, and
were heading for a nuclear catastrophe?" "Exactly." "Understood."
Andy
2023-11-28 09:48:26 UTC
In message <***@255soft.uk>, J. P. Gilliver
<***@255soft.uk> wrote
[]
Post by J. P. Gilliver
It didn't - I've still got four blue bars, some hours later.
Yes, it is a trifle cold this morning...
John Hall
2023-11-28 09:49:45 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver
Post by John Hall
Post by J. P. Gilliver
When I reopen connect (usually after closing to do my weekly backup),
the two news tasks are disabled (the buttons below the [what will be]
blue bars are labelled Enabled). (The two mail tasks are enabled
[their buttons are labelled Disable].)
It's only a trivial two clicks, but I don't think it was always the
case: any idea what changed it, and/or if it can be altered?
Presumably you've checked that the relevant boxes are ticked under
Connect > Configure > News transfer?
Thanks - that seems to have been it! I didn't have any connected; I've
now ticked the two '"Browse" enabled' buttons, and closing and
reopening Connect now comes up with all four tasks enabled. (The "help"
talks about a 480 seconds - 8 minutes - timeout; I'll see if that
happens.)
Glad it's sorted. I've never had a time-out, thankfully. An 8 minute
time-out would be very annoying, as I download news at 10 minute
intervals.
Post by J. P. Gilliver
I still have to click the telephone, which I think I didn't have to
once upon a time (i. e. Connect connected on opening) - any thoughts?
I don't recall ever being able to skip that step. I think Connect's
internal logic is still optimised for the days when you were paying for
your phone usage by the minute, so you might not necessarily want
launching Connect to immediately start racking up the minutes..
SilverE
2023-11-28 15:55:45 UTC
At 09:49:45 on Tue, 28 Nov 2023, John Hall wrote in
Post by John Hall
Post by J. P. Gilliver
Post by John Hall
Post by J. P. Gilliver
When I reopen connect (usually after closing to do my weekly
backup), the two news tasks are disabled (the buttons below the
[what will be] blue bars are labelled Enabled). (The two mail tasks
are enabled [their buttons are labelled Disable].)
It's only a trivial two clicks, but I don't think it was always the
case: any idea what changed it, and/or if it can be altered?
Presumably you've checked that the relevant boxes are ticked under
Connect > Configure > News transfer?
Thanks - that seems to have been it! I didn't have any connected; I've
now ticked the two '"Browse" enabled' buttons, and closing and
reopening Connect now comes up with all four tasks enabled. (The
"help" talks about a 480 seconds - 8 minutes - timeout; I'll see if
that happens.)
That sounds like "Deliver" mode rather than "Browse". The time-out is
adjustable in the Connection setting - not that it's needed these days.
Post by J. P. Gilliver
I still have to click the telephone, which I think I didn't have to
once upon a time (i. e. Connect connected on opening) - any thoughts?
I don't recall ever being able to skip that step. I think Connect's
internal logic is still optimised for the days when you were paying for
your phone usage by the minute, so you might not necessarily want
launching Connect to immediately start racking up the minutes..
Run from shortcut (in the Programs\Startup folder) with param

"C:\Program Files\Turnpike\Bin\Connect.exe" /autobrowse
SilverE
J. P. Gilliver
2023-11-28 16:37:03 UTC
Post by SilverE
Post by John Hall
Post by J. P. Gilliver
Thanks - that seems to have been it! I didn't have any connected;
I've now ticked the two '"Browse" enabled' buttons, and closing and
reopening Connect now comes up with all four tasks enabled. (The
"help" talks about a 480 seconds - 8 minutes - timeout; I'll see if
that happens.)
That sounds like "Deliver" mode rather than "Browse". The time-out is
adjustable in the Connection setting - not that it's needed these days.
Well, I chose Browse mode, as the Help said "Browse mode

This mode is intended for connecting to the Internet for a longer time",
whereas Deliver mode was for just delivering then disconnecting.
Post by SilverE
Post by John Hall
Glad it's sorted. I've never had a time-out, thankfully. An 8 minute
time-out would be very annoying, as I download news at 10 minute
intervals.
Whatever, I don't seem to have had a time-out.
Post by SilverE
Post by SilverE
Run from shortcut (in the Programs\Startup folder) with param
"C:\Program Files\Turnpike\Bin\Connect.exe" /autobrowse
Bingo - thanks!

Radio 4 is the civilising influence in this country ... I think it is the most
important institution in this country. - John Humphrys, Radio Times
7-13/06/2003