Namesco suggestion for POP3 compatible product
Eileen Conn
2022-09-10 17:03:24 UTC
In previous posts I have reported that my intermittent connection through Outlook 365 on Namesco are the result of Microsoft planning to discontinue POP3 facility. Someone here kindly suggested I ask Namesco if they could provide a different package that was still going to be PoP3 compatible. I have done that and here below is Namesco's reply. I will be very grateful if someone on DIST can understand this and tell me if it would enable Turnpike to continue to work on Namesco's servers. Also does it deal with SMTP aspect as well?
I look forward to hearing your comments. I am willing to pay the extra to Namesco if it gives me another 6-9 months while I can get the time to look for a different reliable way of handing my emails.

Eileen
NAMESCO REPLY
Our email servers allow you to use either POP3 or IMAP.
If you are able to create a .pst file of your current mailbox we would be able to migrate those emails over to our server for a one-off fee of £75 + VAT.
You would also need to purchase a mailbox for the emails to be stored in.
We would be able to offer a 1 x 20GB mailbox for £74.99 + VAT for 1 year or £128.99 + VAT for 2 years.
If you would like to upgrade to one of the above options please respond to this email or call me on 0345 36 33 632 option 1
Alternatively, I have left both of the above options in your saved orders here: https://account.names.co.uk/billing/saved-orders/
-------------------------------------
Martin Liddle
2022-09-10 17:23:17 UTC
Post by Eileen Conn
NAMESCO REPLY
Our email servers allow you to use either POP3 or IMAP.
If you are able to create a .pst file of your current mailbox we would be able to migrate those emails over to our server for a one-off fee of £75 + VAT.
You would also need to purchase a mailbox for the emails to be stored in.
We would be able to offer a 1 x 20GB mailbox for £74.99 + VAT for 1 year or £128.99 + VAT for 2 years.
If you would like to upgrade to one of the above options please respond to this email or call me on 0345 36 33 632 option 1
Alternatively, I have left both of the above options in your saved orders here: https://account.names.co.uk/billing/saved-orders/
-------------------------------------
I think that would work; you probably don't want the £75 migration
option providing you are storing your emails in Turnpike. I think it is
a bit on the expensive side but for a short term solution it might be
the best option. If you are holding all your emails in Turnpike then
you probably don't need the 20GB mailbox and on their website they have
a cheaper option for a 5GB mailbox that might be worth investigating.
My impression of Namesco is that they aren't very competent and they are
expensive which isn't a great combination so looking at other potential
solutions when you have time is certainly a good idea.
--
Martin Liddle, Tynemouth Computer Services
Staveley, Chesterfield, Derbyshire UK
Brian Howie
2022-09-12 05:43:06 UTC
Post by Eileen Conn
[...]
This is what I've got from Namesco.

Email: 1 x 5GB Mailboxes b-howie.co.uk 1 yr for £52.99

Authenticated SMTP Access b-howie.co.uk 1 yr for £20.99

co.uk domain b-howie.co.uk 1 yr for £16.99

5G is enough for me. I'm using about 3% with 2232 e-mails sitting in the
mailbox. This is about 3 weeks worth. Normally this would be empty since
Turnpike deletes after downloading.

You need SMTP for sending and the appropriate entry in stunnel.conf
Brian
John Hall
2022-09-12 08:33:00 UTC
NAMESCO REPLY Our email servers allow you to use either POP3 or IMAP.
If you are able to create a .pst file of your current mailbox we would
be able to migrate those emails over to our server for a one-off fee of
£75 + VAT. You would also need to purchase a mailbox for the emails to
be stored in. We would be able to offer a 1 x 20GB mailbox for £74.99 +
VAT for 1 year or £128.99 + VAT for 2 years. If you would like to
upgrade to one of the above options please respond to this email or
call me on 0345 36 33 632 option 1 Alternatively, I have left both of
https://account.names.co.uk/billing/saved-orders/
If it includes POP3, one would hope that it would be possible for you to
go on using Turnpike, though it would probably require Stunnel as an
intermediary and - if they require 2FA - might need a similar
work-around to the one that someone here recently described for using TP
with Gmail.
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,
Ogden Nash (1902-1971)
John Hall
2022-09-12 08:45:51 UTC
Post by John Hall
[...]
But that said, Namesco's prices seem very expensive.
Ogden Nash (1902-1971)
Martin Liddle
2022-09-12 13:33:48 UTC
Post by John Hall
But that said, Namesco's prices seem very expensive.
Agreed but Elaine is looking for a short term solution at the moment.
Longer term I think she could get better service for less money.
Eileen Conn
2022-09-12 18:20:34 UTC
Post by Martin Liddle
Post by John Hall
But that said, Namesco's prices seem very expensive.
Agreed but Elaine is looking for a short term solution at the moment.
Longer term I think she could get better service for less money.
--
Martin Liddle, Tynemouth Computer Services
Staveley, Chesterfield, Derbyshire UK
----------------------------------
Thanks all for your help. Yes it is a short term solution to enable Turnpike to continue when POP3 stops. I aim to create time next year to sort out all my IT issues of which this is just one of several.
I have stunnel which was set up by a DIST member for me when I was ejected by Vodafone along with many others as a demon user. But I have no understanding of how it works and so no ability to know what to think or do in making sure it is OK for using this new package from Namesco. Can you help me form the questions I have to ask Namesco to ensure that moving to their other package will work? Do you have any more to add to this:
* will it work with POP3 and SMTP?

Other Qs I need your help on are all Tyurnpike/stunnel related so Namesco wont say anythign as theyare not their products. Can you tell me the answers to these:
* Brian says - You need SMTP for sending and the appropriate entry in stunnel.conf. Brian - can you say what has to be done to get the ''appropriate entry in stunnel.conf'' ?
* how would the Namesco package be implemented? ie the key thing is that if it needs Turnpike settings to be adjusted I will need help from someone who knows Turnpike as I am incapable of changing the settings or anything else like that. Is there a question about this on which I need to get info from Namesco?

Apologies for all the Qs. I would really like to postpone till next year clarifying my email options so hope you can help me to find out if Namesco have a package that will enable me to continue with Turnpike for the moment..
Brian Howie
2022-09-12 18:45:54 UTC
Post by Eileen Conn
Post by Martin Liddle
Post by John Hall
[...]
This is my old stunnel.conf.

debug = 5
output = stunnel.log
[namesco POP3]
client = yes
accept = 127.0.0.1:3110
connect = outlook.office365.com:995
[namesco SMTP]
protocol = smtp
client = yes
accept = 127.0.0.1:25
connect = smtp.office365.com:587

and my new one

debug = 5
output = stunnel.log

[b-howie POP3]
client = yes
accept = 127.0.0.1:310
connect = pop3.hosts.co.uk:995

[namesco SMTP]
protocol = smtp
client = yes
accept = 127.0.0.1:25
connect = smtp.hosts.co.uk:25
Brian
Chrisj194801
2022-09-15 09:21:46 UTC
Post by Brian Howie
accept = 127.0.0.1:310
Brian
I would guess the 310 is a mistype. Ports up to 1024 are for officially designated purposes; 310 is for the bhdms service (although I have no idea what this is). Unless there is a clash within your system 310 will work providing it is also specified in TP.

TP Stunnel configurations have traditionally used 3110 for POP3. I think this is because I was the first person to post in DIST on the use of Stunnel, and I followed my usual practice of adding 3000 to the underlying port number to give the new port designation a 'self documenting' element. There is nothing magic about 3110; you can use any number between 1025 and 65,535.

Regards
Chris
brian
2022-09-18 08:51:30 UTC
Post by Chrisj194801
Post by Brian Howie
accept = 127.0.0.1:310
Brian
I would guess the 310 is a mistype. Ports up to 1024 are for officially
designated purposes; 310 is for the bhdms service (although I have no
idea what this is). Unless there is a clash within your system 310
will work providing it is also specified in TP.
TP Stunnel configurations have traditionally used 3110 for POP3. I
think this is because I was the first person to post in DIST on the use
of Stunnel, and I followed my usual practice of adding 3000 to the
underlying port number to give the new port designation a 'self
documenting' element. There is nothing magic about 3110; you can use
any number between 1025 and 65,535.
Regards
Chris
I use 310. I think It dates back to when I was running two versions of
POP3 one for my old demon one and one for my new one . I chose 310, I
could now change it to 3110 if it's a problem.

namesco POP3]
client = yes
accept = 127.0.0.1:3110
connect = outlook.office365.com:995