TP now fetching emails for Eileen!
Eileen Conn
2022-07-09 12:17:26 UTC
Hi - I have started this new thread as I need those who have been advising on the problem of my emails not being fetched from Oultook 365 to know that this morning when I connected to send some emails, as that was working again, all the emails in the Outlook 365 inbox were downloaded to my PC on Turnpike.

I had the impression from Namesco that it had changed and i had to buy some upgrade to get it working again, but that might only be until October after Microsoft implement more changes in relation to POP. I was aiming over the weekend to copy and paste all your comments on this into a word doc so I could put a wet towel round my head to try to understand what my options and actions are.

Now while pleased this is working at least for the moment, I would like to understand what happened and what may yet happen.

So I started a new thread as this is a new Q.

PS My goal is still to move from Turnpike but I need more time to sort it out which I hope to be able to do from October onwards as I am changing what I am doing gradually from then on and sorting out my IT - more than just emails - is going to be a high priority for what my work is transforming into.

Eileen
SilverE
2022-07-09 13:25:11 UTC
At 05:17:26 on Sat, 9 Jul 2022, Eileen Conn wrote in
Post by Eileen Conn
Hi - I have started this new thread as I need those who have been
advising on the problem of my emails not being fetched from Oultook 365
to know that this morning when I connected to send some emails, as that
was working again, all the emails in the Outlook 365 inbox were
downloaded to my PC on Turnpike.
Good, hopefully that will keep working for a bit.
Post by Eileen Conn
[...]
If you're involved with any recognised non-profit organisation you might
want to look at Microsoft's free offer of a full Office 365 service

https://portal.nonprofit.microsoft.com/en-us/getting-started

They do check registration, it's clearest if it's listed by the Charity
Commission.

If that's possible they would redirect your email from Namesco to their
directly-operated servers. But it is a full corporate-type system which
does more than you need.
SilverE
John
2022-07-09 13:35:36 UTC
Post by Eileen Conn
[...]
transforming into.
Eileen
I'm not surprised - this is exactly what happened to me a few days ago.
Stopped downloading with the same error that you were getting and then
started again several hours later with no intervention.

I was sceptical at Namesco's response, as Microsoft say they are not
going to start disabling Basic Auth until October. However, I can offer
no explanation for it.

I have 3 entirely separate email accounts, all provided by different
re-sellers, but all using Microsoft Exchange/Outlook as the email
solution. Of these, it was only the Namesco one that failed.

I have experienced another issue since. Occasionally the POP3 email
download fails due to a timeout. It is then usually OK when it retries
5 minutes later. Again, only on the Namesco account - the other 2 are
fine.

I might start looking at Thunderbird as someone in the other thread said
it supported SSL (I hope TLS v1.3?) and OAuth2. I have heard that, with
the right add-ons, it can look and act very similar to Turnpike
John
John Hall
2022-07-09 17:15:59 UTC
Post by Eileen Conn
Hi - I have started this new thread as I need those who have been
advising on the problem of my emails not being fetched from Oultook 365
to know that this morning when I connected to send some emails, as that
was working again, all the emails in the Outlook 365 inbox were
downloaded to my PC on Turnpike.
Good. :)
Post by Eileen Conn
I had the impression from Namesco that it had changed and i had to buy
some upgrade to get it working again, but that might only be until
October after Microsoft implement more changes in relation to POP.
<snip>

I wonder if somebody jumped the gun and implemented a change that wasn't
supposed to happen till October, and when their boss realised they
reverted it?
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,
Ogden Nash (1902-1971)
John
2022-07-22 09:35:04 UTC
Post by Eileen Conn
I had the impression from Namesco that it had changed and i had to buy
some upgrade to get it working again, but that might only be until
October after Microsoft implement more changes in relation to POP.
<snip>
I wonder if somebody jumped the gun and implemented a change that
wasn't supposed to happen till October, and when their boss realised
they reverted it?
Well if they did, they've done it again! Namesco emails stopped
downloading for me yesterday, with error "unknown username or bad
password".

Still down this morning - my other 2 resellers, who both use Microsoft,
are not affected. That doesn't mean that it isn't a Microsoft error -
in their communication they did say that they would implement OAuth2 in
batches, but from October.
John
John
2022-07-25 10:47:21 UTC
Post by John
Post by John Hall
I wonder if somebody jumped the gun and implemented a change that
wasn't supposed to happen till October, and when their boss realised
they reverted it?
Well if they did, they've done it again! Namesco emails stopped
downloading for me yesterday, with error "unknown username or bad
password".
Still down this morning - my other 2 resellers, who both use Microsoft,
are not affected. That doesn't mean that it isn't a Microsoft error -
in their communication they did say that they would implement OAuth2 in
batches, but from October.
Unfortunately it is beginning to look permanent now. Not collecting via
POP3 for 4 days. Other suppliers still working.
--
John