Bulk alteration of folder properties - how?
Paul Wolff
2022-08-04 22:41:55 UTC
I've had a glitch with TP 6.07M by which some of my folders have lost
their "Animate when new messages arrive" setting. This worries me, as I
have 325 folders, mostly for business reasons - client folders, projects
per client, countries per project - and I may not be aware of some
incoming emails. So I want to re-set the "Animate" selection. It would
be (will be) long and tedious to do this folder by folder, and I don't
trust myself not to miss any on the journey.

Q.1, is there a global method to set all folders to animate?

Next: I think any missed incoming email can't be in a folder without
routeing rules, or how else would it have fetched up there? So:

Q.2, if I go to Configure | Folder routeing..., is the list of folders
that appears in the dialog box a definitive, exhaustive, list of all
folders with routeing rules? If so, that's only 37 folders to check.
Hurrah! I can manage that.

Q.3, but is there a way to print out that folder list from Q.2, so I can
work through it with pencil and paper?

That's probably enough to ask. Useful responses greatly appreciated.
Paul
Andy
2022-08-05 07:10:07 UTC
In message <***@wolff.co.uk>, Paul Wolff
<***@thiswontwork.wolff.co.uk> wrote
[]
Post by Paul Wolff
That's probably enough to ask. Useful responses greatly appreciated.
Meanwhile, if you create a search of all incoming emails and save the
search, you can configure its view to include sender, subject and
location - and not miss a vital one. You can in that searchview click on
one to see what it's about, then set its status back to unread to keep
it in that list.
--
Andy Taylor FRPSL
President, Treasurer & Editor of the Austrian Philatelic Society.
Paul Wolff
2022-08-05 08:29:01 UTC
Post by Andy
[]
Post by Paul Wolff
That's probably enough to ask. Useful responses greatly appreciated.
Meanwhile, if you create a search of all incoming emails and save the
search, you can configure its view to include sender, subject and
location - and not miss a vital one. You can in that searchview click
on one to see what it's about, then set its status back to unread to
keep it in that list.
Many thanks Andy - I had completely forgotten how to search on Status.
That does what I need - and is a spur to further email housekeeping.
Paul
John Hall
2022-08-05 08:56:50 UTC
Post by Paul Wolff
I've had a glitch with TP 6.07M by which some of my folders have lost
their "Animate when new messages arrive" setting. This worries me, as I
have 325 folders, mostly for business reasons - client folders,
projects per client, countries per project - and I may not be aware of
some incoming emails. So I want to re-set the "Animate" selection.
<snip>

Can't you just keep the "Number of unread messages" column displayed? As
the relevant row is shown in bold when that number is non-zero, I would
think it would be at least as easily visible as the animation.
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,
Ogden Nash (1902-1971)
Paul Wolff
2022-08-05 17:07:23 UTC
Post by John Hall
Post by Paul Wolff
I've had a glitch with TP 6.07M by which some of my folders have lost
their "Animate when new messages arrive" setting. This worries me, as
I have 325 folders, mostly for business reasons - client folders,
projects per client, countries per project - and I may not be aware of
some incoming emails. So I want to re-set the "Animate" selection.
<snip>
Can't you just keep the "Number of unread messages" column displayed?
Thank you for the suggestion, but I can't see how to make it work.

That (two columns after the folder names column) seems to show the
number of messages, and the number unread, only for the top-level
folders within Turnpike. It doesn't tell me which sub-folder,
sub-sub-folder, etc, contains those unread messages. I have to click all
the way through on the [+] boxes to open those.

Or maybe there's a key combination that expands all nested folders? It's
not in the View menu. (TP is in a virtual machine running Windows XP.)
Post by John Hall
As the relevant row is shown in bold when that number is non-zero, I
would think it would be at least as easily visible as the animation.
I open an animated folder to see what messages have come in. Sometimes
Sender and Subject tell me all I need to know. I might leave an email
unread for now, while I check the other new arrivals elsewhere, thinking
I'll come back later and have a read. Or not, if it turns out I'm too
busy. Even if I mark all unread messages as 'read', I'm sure their
number will grow again.
--
Paul