Namesco's explanation of why they were ablel to restart sending emails
Eileen Conn
2022-07-14 12:13:27 UTC
Finally I have had an explanation from Namesco of why the email collection and delivery stopped and then re-started last week. I am posting this as a new topic as I am not sure if it will be seen in the older ones. Is that the right way to use the system?
NAMESCO REPLY:
It has started working I believe because - I presume - someone here on support has enabled 'Basic Authentication' in your Office365 Admin portal - please see: https://postimg.cc/svVQVBr5
However this is only going to be a temporary workaround. Your email service is provided by Microsoft (of whome we are a reseller) and eventually they will completely prevent POP and IMAP connections on older devices.
Again - we would always recommend that email accounts are configured as Exchange - not POP or IMAP.

Please can those of you who have been helping on this issue tell me if configuring Turnpike as Exchange is what is not possible, so that option is not open to me?

Eileen
Andy
2022-07-14 19:19:33 UTC
Post by Eileen Conn
Finally I have had an explanation from Namesco of why the email
collection and delivery stopped and then re-started last week. I am
posting this as a new topic as I am not sure if it will be seen in the
older ones. Is that the right way to use the system?
If it works, it works :)
--
Andy Taylor FRPSL
President, Treasurer & Editor of the Austrian Philatelic Society.
Eileen Conn
2022-07-14 22:53:39 UTC
Post by Andy
Post by Eileen Conn
Finally I have had an explanation from Namesco of why the email
collection and delivery stopped and then re-started last week. I am
posting this as a new topic as I am not sure if it will be seen in the
older ones. Is that the right way to use the system?
If it works, it works :)
--
Andy Taylor FRPSL
President, Treasurer & Editor of the Austrian Philatelic Society.
Hi Andy

Thanks Andy! Do you have a response to my question about the email probl;em ie
The Namesco people tell me that I should configure my email system for Exchange; but as that is not possible for Turnpike, that option is not open to me? I haven't told them I use Turnpike as that usually stops them from giving any advice or comment.)

Eileen
Andy
2022-07-15 07:50:50 UTC
Post by Eileen Conn
Post by Andy
Post by Eileen Conn
Finally I have had an explanation from Namesco of why the email
collection and delivery stopped and then re-started last week. I am
posting this as a new topic as I am not sure if it will be seen in the
older ones. Is that the right way to use the system?
If it works, it works :)
--
Andy Taylor FRPSL
President, Treasurer & Editor of the Austrian Philatelic Society.
Hi Andy
Thanks Andy! Do you have a response to my question about the email probl;em ie
The Namesco people tell me that I should configure my email system for
Exchange; but as that is not possible for Turnpike, that option is not
open to me? I haven't told them I use Turnpike as that usually stops
them from giving any advice or comment.)
Sorry, no. I was only saying that your posting as you did is IHMO
totally acceptable. I hope that someone can answer your question, so
long as they aren't either on holiday or melting into a nasty puddle on
the carpet!
SilverE
2022-07-15 14:24:36 UTC
At 05:13:27 on Thu, 14 Jul 2022, Eileen Conn wrote in
Post by Eileen Conn
[...]
That's right, Turnpike can only use POP so you will need another option.
SilverE
Jim Crowther
2022-07-16 12:58:31 UTC
Post by Eileen Conn
[...]
I'd be choosing a more capable provider!
Jim Crowther
Nicholas D. Richards
2022-07-26 16:59:21 UTC
Post by Eileen Conn
[...]
Are there any providers who will still be using POP from this time going
on?
--
***@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"
Malcolm Loades
2022-07-26 18:03:30 UTC
Post by Eileen Conn
[...]
I'll start the ball rolling with uno.co.uk

Malcolm
Nicholas D. Richards
2022-07-26 18:21:02 UTC
Post by Malcolm Loades
Post by Eileen Conn
[...]
I will be watching this space.
--
***@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"
Adrian
2022-07-26 18:29:20 UTC
Post by Nicholas D. Richards
Are there any providers who will still be using POP from this time going
on?
I use Fastmail, and they are still using SMTP/POP (via Stunnel). I've
not seen/heard anything to suggest that will change in the near future.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
Every time someone says "I don't believe in trolls", another one dies.
Bryan Morris
2022-07-27 06:44:34 UTC
Post by Adrian
Post by Nicholas D. Richards
Are there any providers who will still be using POP from this time going
on?
I use Fastmail, and they are still using SMTP/POP (via Stunnel). I've
not seen/heard anything to suggest that will change in the near future.
I use Easily.uk who use megamailservers.eu for POP3
Bryan Morris
Jim Crowther
2022-07-27 14:23:58 UTC
In demon.ip.support.turnpike, on Wed, 27 Jul 2022 07:44:34, Bryan Morris
Post by Bryan Morris
Post by Adrian
Post by Nicholas D. Richards
Are there any providers who will still be using POP from this time going
on?
I use Fastmail, and they are still using SMTP/POP (via Stunnel). I've
not seen/heard anything to suggest that will change in the near future.
I use Easily.uk who use megamailservers.eu for POP3
Hostek (who inherited the Gradwell developer accounts);
Andrews and Arnold.
Jim Crowther
Eileen Conn
2022-08-14 20:12:44 UTC
Post by Nicholas D. Richards
Are there any providers who will still be using POP from this time going
on?
I use Fastmail, and they are still using SMTP/POP (via Stunnel). I've
not seen/heard anything to suggest that will change in the near future.
Adrian
--
Apologies for being so ignorant, but does this mean you can go on using Turnpike with Fastmail? Or is Fastmail an alternative to Turnpike? If so, does it provide the same kind of system for handling and presenting email messages to view and also the same kind of address book system?
Eileen
Mark Undrill
2022-08-15 15:16:49 UTC
Post by Eileen Conn
Post by Nicholas D. Richards
Are there any providers who will still be using POP from this time going
on?
I use Fastmail, and they are still using SMTP/POP (via Stunnel). I've
not seen/heard anything to suggest that will change in the near future.
Adrian
--
Apologies for being so ignorant, but does this mean you can go on using Turnpike with Fastmail? Or is Fastmail an alternative to Turnpike? If so, does it provide the same kind of system for handling and presenting email messages to view and also the same kind of address book system?
Eileen
OK so Fastmail is a replacement for Namesco. It is Namesco, or rather
their suppliers Microsoft, that have decided to stop supporting POP.
According to Adrian, Fastmail (of which I know nothing) will and are
still supporting POP/SMTP via Stunnel. Another provider I know of that
still supports POP/SMTP is gandi.net (other providers are available). So
it looks like your best bet to continue using Turnpike is to move from
Namesco to some other provider.

HTH
Mark
Adrian
2022-08-15 18:28:28 UTC
Post by Mark Undrill
OK so Fastmail is a replacement for Namesco. It is Namesco, or rather
their suppliers Microsoft, that have decided to stop supporting POP.
According to Adrian, Fastmail (of which I know nothing) will and are
still supporting POP/SMTP via Stunnel. Another provider I know of that
still supports POP/SMTP is gandi.net (other providers are available).
So it looks like your best bet to continue using Turnpike is to move
from Namesco to some other provider.
Since my name has been mentioned, I thought I'd better add a bit of
detail.

I started with Fastmail about 10 years ago, at the time I could see
where Demon was going, so I jumped whilst I could do so in an orderly
way.

Fastmail host the email for my domain (I've never bothered replacing the
web hosting). Straight out of the box, it wouldn't work as you had to
connect for each email address, which would be a pain in the neck.
After discussions they worked out that they could set up a
<something>@fastmail address that all my mail would forward to, I could
then collect everything from that, but Turnpike would magically sort the
emails into the right boxes, so unless you poke around in the headers,
you wouldn't know about the fastmail address.

Fastmail also provide the facility to filter on a variety of criteria.
You can either delete or forward to the spam folder. I generally filter
on the to/cc/bcc address, which is handy for killing off spam sent to
message ids (Ewoks to our older readers), or those sent to generic
addresses (e.g. ***@mydomian). All this is done via their web
interface (also handy if you are away from home for reading and sending
emails). Emails in the spam folder (which can include ones they
identify as spam) are not delivered by default, you need to log in and
check them, which I generally do once a week.

You have to set up something on their server for each address that you
intend to send emails from, otherwise it will be rejected. This is a
mechanism to prevent your account being used to send spam.

Fastmail are (I think) an Aussie outfit, but their charges appear to be
in US dollars, I've just renewed for another 3 years, and that worked
out at about £117, obviously exchange rate fluctuations will change
that. In 10 years, I can't remember any problems, and on the odd
occasions that I've had to contact support (fill in a form on the
website), I've had an email reply back within a few hours, which is
quite acceptable to me.

Usual disclaimer, I've no connection with the company other than being a
satisfied customer.

Adrian
brian
2022-08-18 05:11:05 UTC
Post by Mark Undrill
Post by Eileen Conn
Post by Nicholas D. Richards
[...]
I get my mail hosting from namesco, pop3.hosts.co.uk and Authenticated
SMTP, smtp.hosts.co.uk via stunnel I dumped the Microsoft365 product
a while back. I can use webmail as well , but I do very rarely

https://www.names.co.uk/email-hosting

It's maybe not the cheapest way to do it.

Brian
--
Brian Howie