Imminent farewell
Chrisj194801
2024-01-01 09:48:52 UTC
Wishing all stalwart TP users a Happy New Year! I use Google Groups to access d.i.s.t, but it appears that from 22nd February this will no longer be supported, which will mean a farewell from me.

TP is still my mail program of choice although I have been running TB in parallel for years; originally as a mail backup. The introduction of Oauth2 by many providers means that I can no longer use TP to reply[1] to mail and am forced increasingly to use TB. Does anyone know of a proxy which supports Oauth2 and can be run on a Win32 system?

[1] My primary mail feed uses a completely unsecured connection, and is eminently TP compatible, but they have never accepted SMTP and I have always had to use another provider.
J. P. Gilliver
2024-01-01 12:25:09 UTC
In message <1c5e2d35-5f17-43f3-9022-***@googlegroups.com> at
Mon, 1 Jan 2024 01:48:52, Chrisj194801 <***@edimatrix.co.uk>
writes
Post by Chrisj194801
Wishing all stalwart TP users a Happy New Year! I use Google Groups to
access d.i.s.t, but it appears that from 22nd February this will no
longer be supported, which will mean a farewell from me.
TP is still my mail program of choice although I have been running TB
in parallel for years; originally as a mail backup. The introduction of
[]
Any reason you don't use a conventional news client for news? The usual
reason people suggest for why others are using Google Groups (generally
considered an awful alternative) for news is that they don't want the
hassle of setting up software just for it, but in your case you have
both TP and TB, which are at least adequate as news clients (TP is of
course good!), so that's not the problem. If it's _servers_ you're
nervous of, they're easy to - Eternal September is still free, and NIN
("the Berlin server") is something horrendous like ten euros a year.

(The general opinion about GG withdrawing from usenet is one of relief,
as they're the source of a fair amount of the spam usenet suffers from.)

"If even one person" arguments allow the perfect to become the enemy of the
good, and thus they tend to cause more harm than good.
- Jimmy Akins quoted by Scott Adams, 2015-5-5
Chrisj194801
The only Usenet group I read is d.i.s.t, and that is hardly very active nowadays! Since I am teetering on the edge of abandoning TP altogether it might not be worth accessing Usenet just for it. If I can't find a suitable Oauth2 proxy then I probably will switch over completely to TB. I suppose, since a decade ago I programmed Oauth2 validation for an e-commerce application, that I could write one myself, but it is a protocol that I loathe and I haven't touched a C compiler for 3 years now. One irritating aspect is that one of my stepsons, now head of cryptography for Google, was responsible for the major features of the original Oauth. I complain about this to him occasionally but he claims he doesn't really remember; it was all so long ago :-(
SilverE
2024-01-01 16:21:35 UTC
At 01:48:52 on Mon, 1 Jan 2024, Chrisj194801 wrote in
Post by Chrisj194801
Wishing all stalwart TP users a Happy New Year! I use Google Groups to
access d.i.s.t, but it appears that from 22nd February this will no
longer be supported, which will mean a farewell from me.
TP is still my mail program of choice although I have been running TB
in parallel for years; originally as a mail backup. The introduction of
Oauth2 by many providers means that I can no longer use TP to reply[1]
to mail and am forced increasingly to use TB. Does anyone know of a
proxy which supports Oauth2 and can be run on a Win32 system?
[1] My primary mail feed uses a completely unsecured connection, and is
eminently TP compatible, but they have never accepted SMTP and I have
always had to use another provider.
Https://purelymail.com might help, I had a quick look as a possible
backup and they use the old basic sign-in. Maybe with SSL so may need
stunnel.
SilverE
John Hall
2024-01-01 17:01:13 UTC
Post by Chrisj194801
Wishing all stalwart TP users a Happy New Year! I use Google Groups to
access d.i.s.t, but it appears that from 22nd February this will no
longer be supported, which will mean a farewell from me.
Assuming that for some reason you don't want to use a "traditional" news
server, then a possible alternative to Google Groups can be found here:

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/

Unfortunately they don't yet offer demon.ip.support.turnpike among their
groups, but if you asked them nicely then they might be willing to add
it. There may well be other sites offering web-based access to
newsgroups, and some might4 carry a wider range of groups.
Post by Chrisj194801
TP is still my mail program of choice although I have been running TB
in parallel for years; originally as a mail backup. The introduction of
Oauth2 by many providers means that I can no longer use TP to reply[1]
to mail and am forced increasingly to use TB. Does anyone know of a
proxy which supports Oauth2 and can be run on a Win32 system?
[1] My primary mail feed uses a completely unsecured connection, and is
eminently TP compatible, but they have never accepted SMTP and I have
always had to use another provider.
My email service provider and domain hoster is Hostek, formerly known as
Pickaweb. They provide POP3 and SMTP, and don't require Oauth2. As is
generally the case these days, they do require SSL/TLS encryption, but
by installing the stunnel app on my machine as an intermediary I've been
able to continue using Turnpike. I believe plenty of other outfits offer
comparable services.

Hostek:
https://hostek.co.uk/

stunnel:
https://www.stunnel.org/
https://github.com/josealf/stunnel-win32 for the 32-bit version
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)
Paul Overell
2024-01-01 17:32:51 UTC
Post by Chrisj194801
Wishing all stalwart TP users a Happy New Year! I use Google Groups to access d.i.s.t, but it appears that from 22nd February this will no longer be supported, which will mean a farewell from me.
TP is still my mail program of choice although I have been running TB in parallel for years; originally as a mail backup. The introduction of Oauth2 by many providers means that I can no longer use TP to reply[1] to mail and am forced increasingly to use TB. Does anyone know of a proxy which supports Oauth2 and can be run on a Win32 system?
Email OAuth 2.0 Proxy

Transparently add OAuth 2.0 support to IMAP/POP/SMTP client
applications, scripts or any other email use-cases that don't support
this authentication method.

https://github.com/simonrob/email-oauth2-proxy

It's written in Python so might be OK on Win32, but I've not tried it.
Post by Chrisj194801
[1] My primary mail feed uses a completely unsecured connection, and is eminently TP compatible, but they have never accepted SMTP and I have always had to use another provider.
Regards
--
Paul Overell