Windows 10?
Molly Mockford
2015-08-07 16:16:20 UTC
Has anybody yet bitten the bullet and installed Windows 10 - and got TP
running on it?

My current XP machine is rapidly approaching five years old, and I am
clearly going to have to get a new one in the next year or so, which
means Windows 10 (I just couldn't bear 7 or particularly 8, but word
seems to be that 10 is much more willing to co-operate). But am I going
to have to shift to Thunderbird for e-mail and Agent for news when I do
so? After 15 years of TP, the prospect of changing my e-mail and news
software at the same time as tackling a new operating system fills me
with dread!

So I am hoping that somebody will be able to reassure me that there will
be a way, even if a complex one, to get TP 6.07 running under 10.
Fignres crsosed!
--
Molly Mockford
Nature loves variety. Unfortunately, society hates it. (Milton Diamond Ph.D.)
(My Reply-To address *is* valid, though may not remain so for ever.)
Jim Crowther
2015-08-07 17:02:14 UTC
In demon.ip.support.turnpike, on Fri, 7 Aug 2015 17:16:20, Molly
Post by Molly Mockford
Has anybody yet bitten the bullet and installed Windows 10 - and got TP
running on it?
Not yet - I'm waiting to find out if W10 Pro has the Virtual PC and XP
mode built in first (W7 Pro 64 bit machine here).
Jim Crowther
John Hall
2015-08-07 18:05:29 UTC
Post by Molly Mockford
Has anybody yet bitten the bullet and installed Windows 10 - and got TP
running on it?
As I understand it, upgrading to Windows 10 is going to be free till at
least 29th July next year, so I'm not going to rush. I'm running 32-bit
Windows 7 Home Premium (I think it is) at the moment, but haven't yet
had the automated nagging to upgrade that I was expecting.
Post by Molly Mockford
My current XP machine is rapidly approaching five years old, and I am
clearly going to have to get a new one in the next year or so, which
means Windows 10 (I just couldn't bear 7 or particularly 8, but word
seems to be that 10 is much more willing to co-operate). But am I
going to have to shift to Thunderbird for e-mail and Agent for news
when I do so? After 15 years of TP, the prospect of changing my e-mail
and news software at the same time as tackling a new operating system
fills me with dread!
So I am hoping that somebody will be able to reassure me that there
will be a way, even if a complex one, to get TP 6.07 running under 10.
Fignres crsosed!
I can't see any obvious reason why, if TP can be made to work in 32-bit
Windows 7 and 8, it shouldn't work in 32-bit Windows 10, but I'm no
expert. I also can't see any reason why the running an XP VM route
should no longer work, But I agree that confirmation from people who
have actually tried it would be reassuring.
--
I'm not paid to implement the recognition of irony.
(Taken, with the author's permission, from a LiveJournal post)
Ian Jackson
2015-08-07 18:45:17 UTC
Post by Molly Mockford
[...]
I've booked W10, and am presently awaiting it being available for
download.

I understand that if you don't like W10 (or it doesn't like you), you
have a month to revert to W7/8.

I'm guessing that the upgrade retains the old OS in addition to the new,
and you can do a sort-of system restore - but this isn't made
immediately clear.

Just in case it doesn't, I've cloned my W7 Pro hard drive, so that I can
put the clock back that way. However, I'm wondering if there will be any
conflict if you have to activate the new W10 (presumably using the same
product key), and then start using the original OS.

Any advice?
Ian
Andy
2015-08-07 18:46:12 UTC
In message <***@jhall_nospamxx.demon.co.uk>, John Hall
<***@jhall.co.uk> wrote
[]
Post by John Hall
I can't see any obvious reason why, if TP can be made to work in 32-bit
Windows 7 and 8, it shouldn't work in 32-bit Windows 10, but I'm no
expert.
Ah, but IS there a 32-bit Windows 10?

Yes, says Google - Microsoft's Great&Good are saying "In a move to tempt
long-standing users, Microsoft is to offer a 32-bit version of Windows
10..."

The same search also throws up the first update to W10 - up to 325MB of
it. This seemingly arrives automatically, with no indication of size or
download time. The Computerworld article continues:

"Although Microsoft prefers to deliver updates after hours or
when the device is not hard at work on productive chores, those eager to
get the latest can manually trigger an update check. Without an idea of
an update's size, however, they risk tying up their bandwidth for an
extended stretch.

"Today's update will be the first real test of Microsoft's
alternate delivery mechanism, 'Windows Update Delivery Optimization'
(WUDO), which uses a BitTorrent-style peer-to-peer technology,
commandeering customers' upload bandwidth to deliver updates and apps to
other devices on the same local network, or to strangers simply
connected to the public Internet."
--
Andy Taylor [Editor, Austrian Philatelic Society].
Visit <URL:http://www.austrianphilately.com>
Ian Jackson
2015-08-07 19:07:42 UTC
Post by Andy
Ah, but IS there a 32-bit Windows 10?
When you book your download, MS first checks to see of your machine is
suitable. It says that my 32-bit W7 Pro laptop IS suitable, so I guess
there is!
Ian
Invalid
2015-08-07 19:01:32 UTC
Post by Andy
[]
Post by John Hall
[...]
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

has a download button for the 32bit version - I haven't tried it.
Invalid
Invalid
2015-08-08 21:07:01 UTC
Post by Invalid
Post by Andy
[]
Post by John Hall
[...]
As an experiment I cloned my Win 7 VM and used the Windows 10 32 bit ISO
download to upgrade.

After upgrading to the latest 5.0.1 version of VirtualBox, it all works
OK (some of the fancier features of VirtualBox - like seamless mode -
are still not there).

I am writing this on Turnpike V6.07 on a Windows 10 32 bit system
running under VirtualBox on a 64 bit Windows 10 host.

So 32bit windows 10 exists
Turnpike runs on it.
Invalid
John Hall
2015-08-08 21:24:50 UTC
Post by Invalid
So 32bit windows 10 exists
Turnpike runs on it.
Thanks. That's good to have confirmed.
Rex M F Smith
Now that is really helpful information; thank you
Jim Crowther
Jim Crowther
John Hall
2015-09-03 09:03:54 UTC
Post by Rex M F Smith
On Sat, 8 Aug 2015 22:07:01 +0100, Invalid
<snip>
Post by Jim Crowther
Post by Rex M F Smith
Post by Invalid
So 32bit windows 10 exists
Turnpike runs on it.
Now that is really helpful information; thank you
Yes indeed! :) :)
Thanks from me too.
--
John Hall
"Honest criticism is hard to take,
an acquaintance, or a stranger." Franklin P Jones
David Rance
2015-09-03 09:00:12 UTC
Post by Invalid
As an experiment I cloned my Win 7 VM and used the Windows 10 32 bit ISO
download to upgrade.
After upgrading to the latest 5.0.1 version of VirtualBox, it all works
OK (some of the fancier features of VirtualBox - like seamless mode -
are still not there).
I am writing this on Turnpike V6.07 on a Windows 10 32 bit system
running under VirtualBox on a 64 bit Windows 10 host.
So 32bit windows 10 exists
Turnpike runs on it.
Now that is really helpful information; thank you
I have Turnpike running on my 32-bit Win 8.1 laptop and am about to
upgrade that to Win 10 - so that's helpful to me too.

David
bert
2015-09-05 19:53:40 UTC
Post by Invalid
As an experiment I cloned my Win 7 VM and used the Windows 10 32 bit ISO
download to upgrade.
After upgrading to the latest 5.0.1 version of VirtualBox, it all works
OK (some of the fancier features of VirtualBox - like seamless mode -
are still not there).
I am writing this on Turnpike V6.07 on a Windows 10 32 bit system
running under VirtualBox on a 64 bit Windows 10 host.
So 32bit windows 10 exists
Turnpike runs on it.
Now that is really helpful information; thank you
I have Turnpike running on my 32-bit Win 8.1 laptop and am about to
upgrade that to Win 10 - so that's helpful to me too.
David
Let us know how you get on.
bert
Mike Swift
2015-09-05 23:53:40 UTC
Post by bert
Post by David Rance
Post by Rex M F Smith
Post by Invalid
So 32bit windows 10 exists
Turnpike runs on it.
Now that is really helpful information; thank you
I have Turnpike running on my 32-bit Win 8.1 laptop and am about to
upgrade that to Win 10 - so that's helpful to me too.
David
Let us know how you get on.
I ran Turnpike 5.01 on windows 7 64 bit without any problems except the
initial error message, clicking OK ran it, my upgrade to windows 10 ran
just as well, OK 5.01 is ancient but it works, and I like Turnpike which
I bought in my old Demon days and it still works now I'm with Virgin
Media.

Mike
Yorkshire Halvard Lange
David Rance
2015-09-07 08:31:42 UTC
Post by bert
Post by Invalid
As an experiment I cloned my Win 7 VM and used the Windows 10 32 bit ISO
download to upgrade.
After upgrading to the latest 5.0.1 version of VirtualBox, it all works
OK (some of the fancier features of VirtualBox - like seamless mode -
are still not there).
I am writing this on Turnpike V6.07 on a Windows 10 32 bit system
running under VirtualBox on a 64 bit Windows 10 host.
So 32bit windows 10 exists
Turnpike runs on it.
Now that is really helpful information; thank you
I have Turnpike running on my 32-bit Win 8.1 laptop and am about to
upgrade that to Win 10 - so that's helpful to me too.
David
Let us know how you get on.
It worked fine. After the installation I did have problems with the
operating system not being able to find paths and not displaying pages
correctly - the start screen would often not appear. I discovered that
the solution was extremely simple - the installation hadn't set the
permissions correctly on the root of the C: drive. (I mention this only
because I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem.)

Once I'd set the permissions correctly (and that took all of ten
seconds!) then it worked like a dream and Turnpike works just as well as
it did under the old operating system.

David
bert
2015-09-07 13:31:56 UTC
Post by David Rance
Post by bert
Post by Invalid
[...]
I wonder if its possible to go from W8 64 bit to W10 32 bit. My wife
would love to go back from TB to TP and has no need for 64 bit
addressing - I haven't gone virtual because it is too complicated for
her and as I am not running it myself I wouldn't really be able to
support it.
bert
David Rance
2015-09-07 14:23:09 UTC
Post by bert
I wonder if its possible to go from W8 64 bit to W10 32 bit. My wife
would love to go back from TB to TP and has no need for 64 bit
addressing - I haven't gone virtual because it is too complicated for
her and as I am not running it myself I wouldn't really be able to
support it.
Not directly, no. Not as a straight upgrade.

The only way of getting a free upgrade from 64-bit to 32-bit would be to
get your Windows 8 disks out and reinstall Win 8 as a 32-bit (you should
have disks for both 64-bit and 32-bit). Then you will automatically
upgrade to Win 10 32-bit.

All that's a bit academic, though, if you bought the computer with
Windows 8 already installed.

David
bert
bert
David Rance
2015-09-07 14:17:30 UTC
Post by David Rance
It worked fine. After the installation I did have problems with the
operating system not being able to find paths and not displaying pages
correctly - the start screen would often not appear. I discovered that
the solution was extremely simple - the installation hadn't set the
permissions correctly on the root of the C: drive. (I mention this only
because I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem.)
Once I'd set the permissions correctly (and that took all of ten
seconds!) then it worked like a dream and Turnpike works just as well
as it did under the old operating system.
Update: I've found one small glitch which probably is not likely to
bother too many people here. It concerns Office 2003 and the
compatibility pack which enables one to read .docx files.

Something funny is going on because, a few weeks ago, the compatibility
pack suddenly stopped working and I couldn't open docx files any more,
not just on one computer either. This was when I was using Win 8.1. I
suspect that a Windows update must have been responsible. Anyhow,
reading around, I discovered that the solution was to update an XML file
which I duly did and I can now open docx files again.

On the computers that I have updated to Windows 10 I still have a little
problem in that, if the docx files are in a directory, yes, I can open
them. If they are an attachment, no I can't. I have two solutions:

1. Save the docx file to a directory and then it can be opened.

2. Use Windows Mail to open the docx attachment, which it has no problem
in doing.

As I said, this is just a small problem and will affect only those
people (cheapskates like me) who are still using Office 2003. Well, it
does all I want of it so why should I upgrade?

David
Jim Crowther
2015-09-07 15:29:10 UTC
In demon.ip.support.turnpike, on Mon, 7 Sep 2015 15:17:30, David Rance
Post by David Rance
As I said, this is just a small problem and will affect only those
people (cheapskates like me) who are still using Office 2003. Well, it
does all I want of it so why should I upgrade?
Install OpenOffice instead. ;)
Jim Crowther
tony sayer
2015-09-07 17:08:59 UTC
Post by David Rance
As I said, this is just a small problem and will affect only those
people (cheapskates like me) who are still using Office 2003. Well, it
does all I want of it so why should I upgrade?
Install OpenOffice instead. ;)
Or this one for free, looks just like Office;!...

http://www.kingsoftstore.com/kingsoft-office-freeware.html
Tony Sayer
bert
2015-09-05 19:53:07 UTC
Post by Invalid
As an experiment I cloned my Win 7 VM and used the Windows 10 32 bit ISO
download to upgrade.
After upgrading to the latest 5.0.1 version of VirtualBox, it all works
OK (some of the fancier features of VirtualBox - like seamless mode -
are still not there).
I am writing this on Turnpike V6.07 on a Windows 10 32 bit system
running under VirtualBox on a 64 bit Windows 10 host.
So 32bit windows 10 exists
Turnpike runs on it.
Now that is really helpful information; thank you
So I can upgrade my W7 32bit to W10 32 bit and then run TP?
bert
John Hall
2015-09-05 21:24:29 UTC
Post by Invalid
As an experiment I cloned my Win 7 VM and used the Windows 10 32 bit ISO
download to upgrade.
After upgrading to the latest 5.0.1 version of VirtualBox, it all works
OK (some of the fancier features of VirtualBox - like seamless mode -
are still not there).
I am writing this on Turnpike V6.07 on a Windows 10 32 bit system
running under VirtualBox on a 64 bit Windows 10 host.
So 32bit windows 10 exists
Turnpike runs on it.
Now that is really helpful information; thank you
So I can upgrade my W7 32bit to W10 32 bit and then run TP?
It certainly looks like it. The only thing I can think of that might
have prevented it would have been if they'd made a significant
alteration to the 32-bit version of Windows Explorer that TP 6 makes use
of, and it seems that they haven't done that.
John Hall
2015-08-07 19:29:34 UTC
Post by Andy
[]
Post by John Hall
I can't see any obvious reason why, if TP can be made to work in 32-bit
Windows 7 and 8, it shouldn't work in 32-bit Windows 10, but I'm no
expert.
Ah, but IS there a 32-bit Windows 10?
Yes, says Google - Microsoft's Great&Good are saying "In a move to tempt
long-standing users, Microsoft is to offer a 32-bit version of Windows
10..."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_editions

also indicates there is. (Look at the Comparison Chart table.)

<snip>
Invalid
2015-08-07 18:54:58 UTC
Post by Molly Mockford
[...]
I am currently writing this on Turnpike 6.07 running on a Windows 7
(32bit) virtual machine under Oracle's (free) VirtualBox hosted on a
Windows 10 (64bit) system - which was upgraded yesterday from Windows
8.1.

I don't run Connect in the VM - that lives on a separate 32 bit Win 7
system that is "always on" and this copy of Turnpike is pointed at the
data files over the (gigabit) network. But there is no reason why
Connect could not run in the VM as well.

In what Oracle call seamless mode, the open windows on the VM appear to
be on the host desktop and the only indication of the VM is a second
taskbar at the bottom of the screen.

The only real downside is the automatic opening of attachments - you
either need to install the software necessary to read the attachments on
the VM, or export them to the host and deal with them there. Shared
folders are straightforward.

The biggest issue you face will probably be to get your XP licence to
authenticate with Microsoft on the VM. It is possible - but a bit of a
fiddle - to virtualise a copy of your existing XP machine and run it
under Virtualbox.
Invalid
Roy Brown
2015-08-10 15:15:08 UTC
In message <***@jhall_nospamxx.demon.co.uk>, John Hall
<***@jhall.co.uk> writing at 19:05:29 in his/her local time
opines:-
Post by Molly Mockford
[...]
7 Premium had a built-in XP mode with its own copy of XP.

8 did not.

I can't see Microsoft building this into 10 when XP is something they
wish long dead now.
--
Roy Brown 'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be
Kelmscott Ltd useful, or believe to be beautiful' William Morris
Bernard Peek
2015-08-07 19:29:35 UTC
Post by Molly Mockford
Has anybody yet bitten the bullet and installed Windows 10 - and got TP
running on it?
My current XP machine is rapidly approaching five years old, and I am
clearly going to have to get a new one in the next year or so, which
means Windows 10 (I just couldn't bear 7 or particularly 8, but word
seems to be that 10 is much more willing to co-operate). But am I going
to have to shift to Thunderbird for e-mail and Agent for news when I do
so? After 15 years of TP, the prospect of changing my e-mail and news
software at the same time as tackling a new operating system fills me
with dread!
Thunderbird also handles news so you might only need one program.

I understand that TP runs in 32-bit versions of W10 but running a 32-bit OS
on a new machine would be perverse. It's easy enough to run a 32-bit virtual
machine using any of the free virtualisation programs.

For anyone who wants to upgrade their W7/8 machines to 10 you can already
download and run the installer now. I did it a few days ago.
--
Bernard Peek
***@shrdlu.com
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2015-08-07 20:41:56 UTC
Post by Molly Mockford
Has anybody yet bitten the bullet and installed Windows 10 - and got TP
running on it?
My current XP machine is rapidly approaching five years old, and I am
clearly going to have to get a new one in the next year or so, which
Why? This XP netbook is just over 5, and still working fine. I added
more memory (upping it from 1G to 2!) not long after I got it (though in
practice I don't think it actually started using more than 1G for a
while after that - it's using about 1.37 ATM), and I had to replace the
HD about a year ago.
Post by Molly Mockford
means Windows 10 (I just couldn't bear 7 or particularly 8, but word
7 was forced on me at work, and after a little while - probably less
than a couple of months - I'd say I see little practical difference
(other than that it gives the IT department finer control of what I can
do, but that wouldn't be relevant for home). 8 looks very different to
me, but I haven't really played with it (though it looks like Classic
Shell [free] or Start8 [very cheap] can make it look like previous
versions [CS can certainly emulate XP, Vista, and 7]).
Post by Molly Mockford
seems to be that 10 is much more willing to co-operate). But am I
going to have to shift to Thunderbird for e-mail and Agent for news
As another has said, TB can do news too. I used it on my 7 machine while
I was rescuing the XP hard disc (I learnt the hard way about imaging
being necessary!), and I could see living with it. (Especially if adding
the various plugins, such as those some people here have identified as
making it look and behave more like TP, but even without, I saw it as
being usable.) I suppose it helps a bit that I have to use Outlook at
work so am more used to the three-pane way of working than TP's separate
window, but honestly that becomes second nature - I switch from using
Outlook at work to TP at home and back, no problem.
Post by Molly Mockford
when I do so? After 15 years of TP, the prospect of changing my e-mail
and news software at the same time as tackling a new operating system
fills me with dread!
I get where you are! I bought the 7 machine as a combination of
something to learn a new OS slowly, and to support various (mostly
blind) friends who have 7, but I appreciate not everyone can afford - or
at least justify - having two computers.
Post by Molly Mockford
So I am hoping that somebody will be able to reassure me that there
will be a way, even if a complex one, to get TP 6.07 running under 10.
Fignres crsosed!
I _think_ I have read (must have been here) of people using TP on 32-bit
10. I've certainly read of plenty of people using it on 32-bit 7, and
several using it in 32-bit virtual machines (XP or 7) running on 64-bit
systems.

You say a new machine would have to be 10: that certainly applies if you
buy it from most of the usual suspects (which sadly mainly means PC
World, though I think most other high-street too, such as supermarkets).
But there are plenty of second-hand 7 machines about, including I think
companies who will refurbish for you if you're dubious about buying
privately.

If it ain't broke, don't download updates.
- Al Drake in alt.windows7.general, 2015-4-4
Bill
2015-08-09 11:21:21 UTC
Post by Molly Mockford
Has anybody yet bitten the bullet and installed Windows 10 - and got TP
running on it?
My current XP machine is rapidly approaching five years old, and I am
clearly going to have to get a new one in the next year or so, which
means Windows 10 (I just couldn't bear 7 or particularly 8, but word
seems to be that 10 is much more willing to co-operate). But am I
going to have to shift to Thunderbird for e-mail and Agent for news
when I do so? After 15 years of TP, the prospect of changing my e-mail
and news software at the same time as tackling a new operating system
fills me with dread!
So I am hoping that somebody will be able to reassure me that there
will be a way, even if a complex one, to get TP 6.07 running under 10.
Fignres crsosed!
I would seriously question the "word" that said the Windows 10 was "more
willing to co-operate".
For many months I have been testing W10 32-bit on an elderly convertible
tablet-laptop and 64-bit on a newer standard laptop. In the early days I
tried TP on the 32-bit machine and it seemed to run OK, but:

As delivered Windows 10 makes you agree that your data can be used to
target advertising at you, and with the default setup sets about doing
this.

Programs such as Skype and Solitaire now have advertising built in. To
get ad-free Solitaire you either have to work out how to install the old
version or pay for the "App". You agree to automatic, unstoppable
updating, and recent "Security updates" have piggy backed non-security
changes to the OS. By default, MS will download driver updates. They
have in the last few weeks incorporated a "Roll-back" feature, but this
has been of little value to those whose video drivers were updated to
give a blank screen.

Most of the "Free" apps come with a little note about containing "In-app
purchases".

I can't see any advantage so far over W7 or even XP and XP still works
better with many of my older interfaces and programs (eg TP). No doubt
there is a decent OS buried in there somewhere, but I have to say that I
am impressed by the way friends and a son who have moved to Macs seem to
have an OS that has given them basic OS features in an understandable
way (eg backup, interfacing etc). I don't see any value in having an OS
that doesn't work very well on either a tablet or a desktop and that
appears to want to bombard you with adverts and "suggestions".

YMMV
Bill
Molly Mockford
2015-08-09 18:15:53 UTC
Post by Bill
I can't see any advantage so far over W7 or even XP and XP still works
better with many of my older interfaces and programs (eg TP). No doubt
there is a decent OS buried in there somewhere, but I have to say that
I am impressed by the way friends and a son who have moved to Macs seem
to have an OS that has given them basic OS features in an
understandable way (eg backup, interfacing etc). I don't see any value
in having an OS that doesn't work very well on either a tablet or a
desktop and that appears to want to bombard you with adverts and
"suggestions".
But can you run TP on a Mac?

I don't have much experience of Macs, but on the one occasion (over
several days) when I was obliged to use one, it seemed to do exactly
what *it* wanted to do, regardless of what *I* wanted it to do. When I
tried to copy files from a memory stick to the machine, it bunged them
on the desktop - and since this (being somebody else's machine) was
absolutely littered with icons, my files ended up well-concealed
underneath some of those, and were almost impossible to find! I ended
up with a firm resolve that, no matter how loathsome Windows may be, I
really don't want to have to fight with a Mac.
Andy
2015-08-09 18:41:48 UTC
In message <7o$***@molly.mockford>, Molly Mockford
<***@mollymockford.me.uk> wrote
[]
Post by Molly Mockford
But can you run TP on a Mac?
I have read that some Macs can run a Windows Emulator, so if it's the
right flavour of Windows maybe TP would install and run there.

Sounds a bit like standing on one leg in a hammock, though...
Molly Mockford
2015-08-09 19:04:21 UTC
Post by Andy
[]
Post by Molly Mockford
But can you run TP on a Mac?
I have read that some Macs can run a Windows Emulator, so if it's the
right flavour of Windows maybe TP would install and run there.
Sounds a bit like standing on one leg in a hammock, though...
At my age, I have enough trouble standing on one leg on the floor!!
Paul Wolff
2015-08-09 22:23:46 UTC
Post by Andy
[]
Post by Molly Mockford
But can you run TP on a Mac?
I have read that some Macs can run a Windows Emulator, so if it's the
right flavour of Windows maybe TP would install and run there.
Sounds a bit like standing on one leg in a hammock, though...
Our little home network with iMac, Win7 and WinXP machines and network
attached storage has TP Connect and the TP Mail and News databases
running on a virtual WinXP machine on the Mac. TP on the other network
Windows machines reads and write the VM TP databases. The NAS looks
after the backups.

We use Parallels to create and look after the Mac VM. Parallels is very
easy to use. The original VM creation process cloned the important
elements of an about-to-be-abandoned Windows XP machine with no
difficult questions being asked. I didn't even need an XP OS disk.

It seems to be necessary in practice for the TP databases to be on the
same drive as TP Connect. Otherwise the occasional network hiccups are
seized on and amplified by the TP error detection process, which throws
up innumerable little windows asking you to press an "OK" or "Retry"
button until they go away and you can then close TP before re-opening
it.
Paul
Barrie Heaton
2015-08-21 19:16:50 UTC
Post by Paul Wolff
We use Parallels to create and look after the Mac VM. Parallels is very
easy to use. The original VM creation process cloned the important
elements of an about-to-be-abandoned Windows XP machine with no
difficult questions being asked. I didn't even need an XP OS disk.
It seems to be necessary in practice for the TP databases to be on the
same drive as TP Connect. Otherwise the occasional network hiccups are
seized on and amplified by the TP error detection process, which throws
up innumerable little windows asking you to press an "OK" or "Retry"
button until they go away and you can then close TP before re-opening it.
Hi Paul

I am moving over to MAC in a few weeks I have had a word with Parallels
who say that the latest version will support XP and win 3.11 did you
use an older version of Parallels How much RAM do you have on your MAC

Barrie
Paul Wolff
2015-08-21 21:47:55 UTC
Post by Barrie Heaton
Post by Paul Wolff
We use Parallels to create and look after the Mac VM. Parallels is
very easy to use. The original VM creation process cloned the
important elements of an about-to-be-abandoned Windows XP machine with
no difficult questions being asked. I didn't even need an XP OS disk.
It seems to be necessary in practice for the TP databases to be on the
same drive as TP Connect. Otherwise the occasional network hiccups are
seized on and amplified by the TP error detection process, which
throws up innumerable little windows asking you to press an "OK" or
"Retry" button until they go away and you can then close TP before re-
opening it.
Hi Paul
I am moving over to MAC in a few weeks I have had a word with Parallels
who say that the latest version will support XP and win 3.11
Crumbs, I have an old IBM ThinkPad with Win 3.11, but there's not much
point in firing it up now, except to read antediluvian Turnpike emails
left high and dry in the time warp...
Post by Barrie Heaton
did you use an older version of Parallels
Version 7 to start with. Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac. It was a special
"Switch to Mac Edition" which came with something -- a cable and
supplementary menu item? -- that made it easy to suck a copy of the XP
operating system and programs out of their original host machine and
into the iMac.

I have successively upgraded Parallels to desktop version 10, and they
have just now offered a free upgrade to version 11, saying:

* • Now fully supporting Windows 10 and ready for OS X El
Capitan (10.11).
* • Up to 50% faster boot times – load your windows apps at
lightning speed
* • No Siri on your Mac – no problem! Now you can use
Microsoft Cortana on your Mac by just saying “Hey, Cortana”
* • Documents open 20% faster! - get to your documents faster
* • Travel much…Dial Up your battery life to max - 25% better!
- with Travel Mode
Post by Barrie Heaton
How much RAM do you have on your MAC
4Gb, it claims, but I haven't counted it myself.
Paul
Barrie Heaton
2015-08-22 12:11:21 UTC
Post by Barrie Heaton
did you use an older version of Parallels
Version 7 to start with. Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac. It was a special
"Switch to Mac Edition" which came with something -- a cable and
supplementary menu item? -- that made it easy to suck a copy of the XP
operating system and programs out of their original host machine and
into the iMac.
I have successively upgraded Parallels to desktop version 10, and they
Thanks Paul

Barrie
--
Barrie Heaton PGP key on request http://www.a440.co.uk/
AcryliKey Ivory Repair System UK © http://www.acrylikey.co.uk/
castors.co.uk/
Bill
2015-08-09 19:07:15 UTC
Post by Molly Mockford
But can you run TP on a Mac?
I don't have much experience of Macs, but on the one occasion (over
several days) when I was obliged to use one, it seemed to do exactly
what *it* wanted to do, regardless of what *I* wanted it to do. When I
tried to copy files from a memory stick to the machine, it bunged them
on the desktop - and since this (being somebody else's machine) was
absolutely littered with icons, my files ended up well-concealed
underneath some of those, and were almost impossible to find! I ended
up with a firm resolve that, no matter how loathsome Windows may be, I
really don't want to have to fight with a Mac.
Sorry, Molly, I wasn't really suggesting a move to a Mac. I have only
used one a couple of times recently and wasn't impressed, particularly
for the price.

I was trying to say that, as a user of XP and mainly Windows 7, Windows
10 looks more to me like a platform to support advertising than a real
operating system.

I haven't yet seen any reason for moving from Windows 7 to 10. I have
actually been running the preview on 3 machines. I am keeping the
previews going on the two I mentioned above because they don't have a
valid OS for me to get a free upgrade, so this is a way to keep in touch
with W10 in case it improves.

The third machine does have a fully licensed Windows 7 and has been
partitioned and installed with Windows 10 as a second boot option. The
plan now is to remove Windows 10 and revert to W7 on the whole 1TB
drive.

My main Turnpike machine is this other 32-bit W7 laptop.
--
Bill